- Q1 2023 revenues grew 618% year-over-year to $5.7 million
- Q1 2023 gross margin grew to 41.9% from 31.5% in prior quarter
- Gross profit of $2.4 million, an increase of $1.1 million from prior quarter
- Ended quarter with cash position of $26.4 million
All financial results are reported in Canadian dollars unless otherwise stated.
VANCOUVER, BC, Jan. 16, 2023 – Numinus Wellness Inc. (“Numinus” or the “Company”) (TSX:NUMI) (OTCQX:NUMIF), a mental health care company advancing innovative treatments and safe, evidence-based psychedelic-assisted therapies, today announced its financial results for the three months ended November 30, 2022 (“Q1 2023”).
“During the first quarter of fiscal 2023, we successfully implemented several initiatives to increase access to psychedelic and ketamine-assisted therapy. We believe expanded access will not only serve to elevate Numinus’ leadership position within the psychedelic industry, but strongly supports the overall advancement of psychedelic medicine for the treatment of mental health. With our strengthened network of 12 wellness clinics and research operations firmly in place following our acquisition of Novamind, we leveraged our robust integrated mental health infrastructure to enhance our service offerings, driving a strong start to 2023,” said Payton Nyquvest, Founder and CEO.
“During the quarter, we developed a whole mushroom psylocibin-containing tea bag, EnfiniTea, which has demonstrated a more consistent dosing and longer shelf stability than other natural psilocybin-mushroom products. Our new clinical trial application for experiential psilocybin-assisted therapy training research will use our EnfiniTea for trial dosing, making this one of the first clinical trials globally to be conducted with whole Psilocybe mushrooms to assess their safety. This will also be one of the first training programs with the option to participate in an experiential trial for practitioners looking to expand their psychedelic-assisted therapy education. In addition, we launched Ketamine-assisted Therapy (KAT) at our Toronto location, introduced a wider assortment of ketamine-assisted therapy options at our Montreal clinics and launched KAT for Chronic and Serious Illness at our Utah clinics. Research continues to support the efficacy of these therapies and we are committed to continuously enhancing our service offerings to make psychedelics available to those in need.”
Commenting on the quarter’s performance, Mr. Nyquvest continued: “We continued to focus on driving margin expansion during Q1 2023, through ongoing cost containment initiatives and a focus on reaching a growing number of clients. Overall, client appointments grew 13.7%, G&A expenses declined 8.5%, and gross profit increased 80% from last quarter to $2.4 million in the first quarter – representing a 41.9% gross margin. We are proud of the growth and margin improvements we’re seeing across our organization, and will continue to identify ways to reach profitability as soon as possible.”
- Revenues grew 618% year-over-year to $5.7 million in Q1 2023. Sequentially, revenues grew 35.7% from the prior quarter.
- Gross margin grew to 41.9% during Q1 2023 compared to 6.5% in Q1 2022. The improvement in gross margin is due mostly to the completion of the Novamind acquisition between periods and the offering of higher-margin services. Sequentially, gross margin grew 1,040 basis points from 31.5% in Q4 2022.
- Gross profit was $2.4 million in Q1 2023, a significant increase compared to gross profit of $50,965 in Q1 2022, and an 80% increase compared to $1.3 million in the prior quarter.
- G&A expenses declined 8.6% from the prior quarter as a result of ongoing cost containment initiatives.
- Cash balance of $26.4 million as of November 30, 2022.
Numinus Wellness Clinic Network
- Q1 2023 revenue of $5.0 million, a 35.3% sequential increase from $3.7 million in Q4 2022, and a 669.5% increase compared to $647,915 million during the same period last year. The increase in clinic network revenues is primarily due to acquisitions completed during the past year, growth in client appointments and the expansion of clinic services.
- During Q1 2023, Numinus completed more than 19,774 client appointments – including one-on-one and group therapy sessions, neurology-related appointments, paid group programs, Ketamine-assisted psychotherapy (KAT), Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) and Ketamine/Spravato medicine appointments, representing a 13.7% increase in clinic appointments compared to more than 17,000 appointments in Q4 2022.
- 9.7% of appointments during Q1 2023 were made by new clients.
- 3.7% of appointments during Q1 2023 were KAT or Ketamine/Spravato medicine related.
- 1,863 TMS appointments were made during Q1 2023.
- At the end of Q1 2023, Numinus had 138 practitioners providing client treatments through its wellness clinics and virtual services, a 13.1% increase from the beginning of the quarter.
- On September 13, 2022, Numinus launched a new financing option for clinic patients in Canada. This new payment option will increase the accessibility of its traditional therapy and Ketamine-assisted therapy to a wider client population. Offered through iFinance, a third-party financing partner, Numinus’ new financing option will allow Canadian clients to apply for financing with interest rates based on the applicant’s credit history. Once approved, Numinus will provide the requested therapy services and collect full payment from iFinance following the completion of the treatment plan.
- On September 19, 2022, Numinus expanded its Ketamine-assisted Therapy offering to its Toronto location (The Neurology Centre of Toronto), to provide KAT services to patients with neurologic conditions.
- On October 28, 2022, Numinus announced the launch of its Ketamine for Chronic and Serious Medical Illness Program. This new program will be introduced first in Numinus’ clinics in Utah, British Columbia and Quebec. The Company intends to expand the program to other clinics in later months.
Numinus Clinical Research
- Revenues from Cedar Clinical Research (“CCR”) during Q1 2023 were $0.7 million, a 38.8% increase compared to prior quarter. CCR revenue streams are generated through the management of third-party clinical trials that use CCR’s two clinical research sites.
- Q1 2023 gross margin at CCR was 70.9%, an increase of 590 basis points compared to prior quarter.
- On October 5, 2022, the Company announced that Numinus Bioscience has developed a psilocybin-containing tea bag for use in clinical research and, if appropriate regulatory approvals are granted, eventual treatment of clients in psychedelic-assisted therapy.
Numinus’ condensed consolidated financial statements for the three months ended November 30, 2022 and related management’s discussion and analysis are available on Numinus’ Investor Relations website at www.investors.numinus.com and under the Company’s profile on SEDAR at www.sedar.com. These documents were prepared in accordance with IFRS.
Conference Call and Webcast Details
Interested parties are invited to participate in the Company’s Q1 2023 results conference call and webcast occurring today, at 5:30 p.m. Eastern time / 2:30 p.m. Pacific time. During the call, Numinus executives will review the Company’s performance and recent initiatives, and answer questions from analysts.
To listen to the live webcast, please register at: https://events.q4inc.com/attendee/823058344
The webcast will also be archived on the Events and Presentations page of Numinus’ Investor Relations website: https://www.investors.numinus.com/events-and-presentations
To participate in the live conference call, please use the following dial-in information:
- 1 (888) 330-3632 (Toll-free North America)
- 1 (646) 960-0837 (International)
- Please ask to participate in Numinus’ Q1 2023 Results Call. To avoid any delays in joining the call, please dial in at least five minutes prior to the call start time. If prompted, please provide conference passcode 3547386.
A replay of the conference call can also be accessed after 8:30 p.m. Eastern time / 5:30 p.m. Pacific time on January 16, 2023, at 1-800-770-2030 or 1-647-362-9199 (using passcode 3547386). The replay will be available until January 30, 2023.
Numinus Wellness (TSX:NUMI) helps people to heal and be well through the development and delivery of innovative mental health care and access to safe, evidence-based psychedelic-assisted therapies. The Numinus model – including psychedelic production, research and clinic care – is at the forefront of a transformation aimed at healing rather than managing symptoms for depression, anxiety, trauma, pain and substance use. At Numinus, we are leading the integration of psychedelic-assisted therapies into mainstream clinical practice and building the foundation for a healthier society.
Neither Numinus Wellness Inc., nor any of its subsidiaries is a professional corporation licensed to practice health services. In jurisdictions where health services may only be provided by a corporation if that corporation holds a valid permit to do so, Numinus and its subsidiaries operate in a management services function to affiliated professional corporations, who provide health services to patients. Numinus and its subsidiaries do provide health services directly to patients in those jurisdictions where authorized to do so.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of applicable securities laws. All statements that are not historical facts, including without limitation, statements regarding future estimates, plans, programs, forecasts, projections, objectives, assumptions, expectations or beliefs regarding future performance are “forward-looking statements”. Forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of words such as “expects”, “does not expect”, “is expected”, “believes”, “intends”, “anticipates”, “does not anticipate”, “believes” or variations of these words, expressions or statements, that certain actions, events or results “may”, “could”, “would”, “might” or “will be” taken, will occur or will be realized. Such forward-looking statements involve risks, uncertainties and other known and unknown factors that could cause actual results, events or developments to differ materially from the results, events or developments expected and expressed or implied in such forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, dependence on obtaining and maintaining regulatory approvals, including the acquisition and renewal of federal, provincial, municipal, local or other licenses, and any inability to obtain all necessary government authorizations, licenses and permits to operate and expand the Company’s facilities; regulatory or policy changes such as changes in applicable laws and regulations, including federal and provincial legalization, due to fluctuations in public opinion, industry perception of integrative mental health, including the use of psychedelic-assisted therapy, delays or inefficiencies or any other reason; any other factor or development likely to hamper the growth of the market; the Company’s limited operating and profitability track record; dependence on management; the Company’s need for additional financing and the effects of financial market conditions and other factors on the availability of capital; competition, including that of more established and better funded competitors; the impact of the Russia–Ukraine conflict on the global economy; the continued impact of the COVID-19 pandemic; and the need to build and maintain alliances and partnerships, including with research and development companies, customers and suppliers. These factors should be carefully considered, and readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements. Despite the Company’s efforts to identify the main risk factors that could cause actual measures, events or results to differ materially from those described in forward-looking statements, other risk factors may cause measures, events or developments to materially differ from those anticipated, estimated or intended. There can be no assurance that forward-looking statements will prove to be accurate, as actual results and future events could differ materially from those anticipated in forward-looking statements. The Company does not undertake to revise forward-looking statements, even if new information becomes available as a result of future events, new facts or any other reason, except as required by applicable laws.
SOURCE Numinus Wellness Inc.
For further information: Investor Contact: Jamie Kokoskam, Vice President, Investor Relations & Financial Communications, [email protected], +1 833-686-4687; Media Contact: Hilary Strath, Director, Communications, [email protected]
Featured Image Depositphotos @ SergeyNivens 2
1) The author of the Article, or members of the author’s immediate household or family, do not own any securities of the companies set forth in this Article. The author determined which companies would be included in this article based on research and understanding of the sector.
2) The Article was issued on behalf of and sponsored by, Numinus Wellness Inc. Market Jar Media Inc. has or expects to receive from Numinus Wellness Inc.’s Digital Marketing Agency of Record (Native Ads Inc.) one hundred nine thousand four hundred and forty USD for 23 days (16 business days).
3) Statements and opinions expressed are the opinions of the author and not Market Jar Media Inc., its directors or officers. The author is wholly responsible for the validity of the statements. The author was not paid by Market Jar Media Inc. for this Article. Market Jar Media Inc. was not paid by the author to publish or syndicate this Article. Market Jar has not independently verified or otherwise investigated all such information. None of Market Jar or any of their respective affiliates, guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any such information. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. Market Jar Media Inc. requires contributing authors to disclose any shareholdings in, or economic relationships with, companies that they write about. Market Jar Media Inc. relies upon the authors to accurately provide this information and Market Jar Media Inc. has no means of verifying its accuracy.
5) Market Jar Media Inc. and its respective directors, officers and employees hold no shares for any company mentioned in the Article.
6) This document contains forward-looking information and forward-looking statements, within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities legislation, (collectively, “forward-looking statements”), which reflect management’s expectations regarding Numinus Wellness Inc.’s future growth, future business plans and opportunities, expected activities, and other statements about future events, results or performance. Wherever possible, words such as “predicts”, “projects”, “targets”, “plans”, “expects”, “does not expect”, “budget”, “scheduled”, “estimates”, “forecasts”, “anticipate” or “does not anticipate”, “believe”, “intend” and similar expressions or statements that certain actions, events or results “may”, “could”, “would”, “might” or “will” be taken, occur or be achieved, or the negative or grammatical variation thereof or other variations thereof, or comparable terminology have been used to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements relating to: (a) revenue generating potential with respect to Numinus Wellness Inc.’s industry; (b) market opportunity; (c) Numinus Wellness Inc.’s business plans and strategies; (d) services that Numinus Wellness Inc. intends to offer; (e) Numinus Wellness Inc.’s milestone projections and targets; (f) Numinus Wellness Inc.’s expectations regarding receipt of approval for regulatory applications; (g) Numinus Wellness Inc.’s intentions to expand into other jurisdictions including the timeline expectations relating to those expansion plans; and (h) Numinus Wellness Inc.’s expectations with regarding its ability to deliver shareholder value. Forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of future performance and are based upon a number of estimates and assumptions of management in light of management’s experience and perception of trends, current conditions and expected developments, as well as other factors that management believes to be relevant and reasonable in the circumstances, as of the date of this document including, without limitation, assumptions about: (a) the ability to raise any necessary additional capital on reasonable terms to execute Numinus Wellness Inc.’s business plan; (b) that general business and economic conditions will not change in a material adverse manner; (c) Numinus Wellness Inc.’s ability to procure equipment and operating supplies in sufficient quantities and on a timely basis; (d) Numinus Wellness Inc.’s ability to enter into contractual arrangements with additional Pharmacies; (e) the accuracy of budgeted costs and expenditures; (f) Numinus Wellness Inc.’s ability to attract and retain skilled personnel; (g) political and regulatory stability; (h) the receipt of governmental, regulatory and third-party approvals, licenses and permits on favorable terms; (i) changes in applicable legislation; (j) stability in financial and capital markets; and (k) expectations regarding the level of disruption to as a result of CV-19. Such forward-looking information involves a variety of known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements of Numinus Wellness Inc. to be materially different from any future plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such risks include, without limitation: (a) Numinus Wellness Inc.’s operations could be adversely affected by possible future government legislation, policies and controls or by changes in applicable laws and regulations; (b) public health crises such as CV-19 may adversely impact Numinus Wellness Inc.’s business; (c) the volatility of global capital markets; (d) political instability and changes to the regulations governing Numinus Wellness Inc.’s business operations (e) Numinus Wellness Inc. may be unable to implement its growth strategy; and (f) increased competition.
Except as required by law, Numinus Wellness Inc. undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future event or otherwise, after the date on which the statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Neither does Numinus Wellness Inc. nor any of its representatives make any representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the accuracy, sufficiency or completeness of the information in this document. Neither Numinus Wellness Inc. nor any of its representatives shall have any liability whatsoever, under contract, tort, trust or otherwise, to you or any person resulting from the use of the information in this document by you or any of your representatives or for omissions from the information in this document.
7) Any graphs, tables or other information demonstrating the historical performance or current or historical attributes of Numinus Wellness Inc. or any other entity contained in this document are intended only to illustrate historical performance or current or historical attributes of Numinus Wellness Inc. or such entities and are not necessarily indicative of future performance of Numinus Wellness Inc. or such entities.